Frequently Asked Questions

1. What does the new Central Business Registry do?

The new Central Registry is a one stop shop to register your business. It brings together all of the functions previously done by the commercial courts, the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Finance.

At the Central Registry, you can:

  • register your business
  • obtain a Tax Identification Number (TIN)
  • publish your business name in the Gazette
  • pay fee to get a referral letter to any licensing agency (if needed)
2. Who can register their business?

Any business can be registered.

3. Can foreign businesses be registered?

No, only businesses with a place of business in Afghanistan can register their business. Still though, foreigners can own 100% of the business.

4. Who must register their business?

Every business must register under Afghan Law. Corporations and Limited Liability Companies must re-register.

5. Do sole proprietorships have to register their business?

Sole proprietors seeking traders or investors license have to register their business at the new registry.

6. How much does it cost to register a business?

It costs 500 Afs.

7. Are there any other costs?

Yes. Publication of business information in the Gazette costs 3 Afs per character.

8. Do businesses need to register every year?

No, they only need to register once.  But they do need to re-register if there are any changes in their business.  In that case, they need to return to the Central Registry and pay another 500 Afs plus the publication cost of 3 Afs per character. 

9. What kind of changes would mean that a business would need to re-register?

For instance, a change in the President or the Vice-President of the company requires a change in the registration documents and the change must be published in the Gazette. A change could also relate to a change in the type of operation, business activity, business location, etc.

10. What are the current obligations on Afghan business?

A business must renew its Tax Identification Number every year.  It must settle its account with the Ministry of Finance and pay its annual tax bill.  To do this, businessmen must go to the TIN office at the Ministry of Finance. They cannot do this at the Central Business Registry. 

11. What should a company do if it terminates business or ceases business operations?

A business must clear its account at the Revenue Department at the Ministry of Finance. It must then pay a closing fee of 500 AFS plus the charge to publish its termination notice in the Official Gazette (3 AFS per character)

12. Is business registration different than getting a business license?

Yes, under the law, every business must register in Afghanistan. But, business licensing is different. Many businesses require a license to operate, for example, a transport operator license, or a trading license. The new Central Registry has nothing to do with licensing a business. Business owners must go to the right ministry to get a business license. But, licensing should be much easier now, since business registration is usually a time-consuming and expensive part of getting a business license. Registry staff can also refer them to the right licensing agency if they wish.

13. How does the new central registry relate to the Afghanistan Investment Support Agency (AISA)?

AISA plays an invaluable role in attracting foreign investment to Afghanistan. With the new Registry, investors can still go to AISA for all of their investment needs, including business registration. Nothing has changed in this regard. AISA officials will then come to the new Central Registry to register all new businesses. AISA officials will be able to go to one office, instead of the five current offices that they now visit.

14. What documents should I bring?

To register a business, you need to bring the following documents: 1. Official Identification (Taskera) or Passport if you are a foreigner 2. Two, two photos of the President and Vice-President of the company 3. Articles of Association (if applicable) To make a change in your business, you need to bring the following documents:

1. Official Identification (Taskera) or Passport if you are a foreigner

2. Two, two photos of the President and Vice President of the company (if they have changed)

3. Articles of Association

To close your business, you need to bring the following documents:

1. Official Identification (Taskera) or Passport if you are a foreigner

2. Articles of Association